Yoga is an excellent way to increase your flexibility, strength and endurance. Three important qualities that also help you to become a better surfer.
This next pose helps you to strengthen your arms, core, side and legs. It also improves your balance, your confidence and your energy level!
How to do Vasisthasana (Side Plank pose):
- Start in Child’s Pose.
- Inhale, come up onto all fours and into Plank.
- Exhale through your lower abdomen, engaging your core and protecting your lower back/spine (if you feel this is too much, stay on your knees).
- Inhale, shift your weight over to your right hand (make sure your right shoulder is directly above your right wrist) as you bring your left arm up to the sky and roll your chest open to the left. Stack your legs on top of each other, your feet as well. Or, keep your bottom foot flat on the mat, if that gives you more balance.
- Stay there for 5 breaths. Make sure your hips don’t roll forward or backward.
- Exhale, place your left hand onto the mat, come onto all fours and into Child’s Pose.
- Repeat on the opposite side.
- If you’re just starting, or want to take it easy, don’t come into a full Side Plank, but keep the bottom knee on the mat for support.
- When in Side Plank, try to lift your upper leg into Star Fish; total body strengthening.
Pregnant? Better not do this pose.